The 28 foot bandstand in Dakota City is a late 19th
century replica. It was built in the summer of 1984. It is
used for concerts and entertainments during special
events and the county fair.
In the early days the village bandstand served not only
as the site for outdoor concerts, but was also a central
meeting place for local events.
The Vermillion State Bank was built in Vermillion, MN.
and opened for business on August 10, 1918.
Built in 1903 by Dennis Gibson as a barber shop. It
continued to be used as a barber shop until it was
moved from its original site on Highway 3 in Rosemount.
It was moved to Dakota City in 1994.
This building, which was moved from Lakeville to the
Dakota City site in 1965 had been used as a warehouse
for the Tabaka Brothers Hardware Store. There was a
fanning mill in the warehouse where farmers brought
their grain to be cleaned.
Originally located in the village of Lakeville. It was moved
to Dakota City in 1970. The history of the depot begins
with the building of the Hastings and Dakota Railroad
west through Lakeville township in 1868 and 1869. This
railroad later became part of the Chicago, Milwaukee, St.
Paul and Pacific Railroad.
Built in 1986. Many of the store fixtures of 1930 and
1940 vintage are from county drugstores. The
pharmacy has a good supply of old drug containers.
Some chemical bottles date back to the early 1800s.
The store carries an assortment of "old merchandise"
such as cosmetics, cameras and tobacco products.
The General Store was moved from its original location
at Holyoke and 208th Street in Lakeville to Dakota City in
1965.At various times it served as an ice cream parlor,
shoe repair shop, shoe and harness shop. Tabaka's
Jack Spratt Store. The Bull Durham billboard was
recently re-painted on the side of the store.
Moved to Dakota City during November 1990. Originally
used as a farm repair shop, it was located on the Russell
Pflaum farm near Randolph. The building now contains
harness and shoe repair equipment, much of which came
from the Frank Mahowald Shoe and Harness Shop in
Built in 1867 and named the Vermillion Presbyterian
Church, because of its original location. The church
congregation was formed in 1856 and met in various
homes prior to the church being built.
This church at Dakota City can be rented for weddings.
In 1859, a village was platted about a mile northeast of Farmington, MN. This little town, named Dakota City, was positioned
on the south bank of the Vermillion River along the stagecoach route (now known as Highway 3).
Our village, named Dakota City after the original platted town on the banks of the Vermillion River, was established on 1978.
It represents a typical rural Dakota County village of 1900.
|Double Click pictures for more info
Built in 1990. Its design is similar to Farmington's first
fire barn built in 1872. The first Farmington department
was organized the same year and called the Eagle
Company. This building contains the hand drawn hook
and ladder wagons used in Hampton and Vermillion.
There are also hand drawn hose carts and a 1929 W.S.
Knott Universal fire truck.
|Dakota City Heritage Village, 4008 220th St. W., Farmington, MN 55024 651-460-8050 email@example.com
Gift Shop. The building was a former District 17
schoolhouse. It was built in the 1870s and located
on the corner of County Road 42 and Cedar
Avenue, where is served as a school until 1904.