In 1859, a village was platted about a mile northeast of Farmington, Minnesota. This little town, named Dakota City, was positioned on the south bank of the Vermillion River along the stagecoach route now known as Highway 3. When the railroad was laid a mile to the southwest of Dakota City, the town was relocated to be near it, and in 1872 became known as Farmington.
Our village, named Dakota City after the original platted town on the banks of the Vermillion River, was established in 1978 and is located on the Dakota County Fairgrounds. It represents a typical rural Dakota County village of 1900.
Present day Dakota City is a 1900-era agricultural village and museum. Twenty-two buildings, including an operational blacksmith shop, newspaper office, train depot and family home, represent the business and social center of a rural 1900-era community.