The original blacksmith shop that was donated to Dakota City was moved from Lakeville in 1965. It had been used as a warehouse for the Tabaka Brothers Hardware Store. There was a fanning mill in the warehouse where farmers brought their grain to be cleaned. The building was completely demolished in a storm in June of 1980. The building as it stands today is a reproduction using as much lumber from the old building as could be salvaged.
A brick forge was built and fitted with an 1860’s bellows from Lakeville. All machinery in the shop is run off a line shaft donated from a blacksmith shop in Lakeville. This line shaft can be powered by a gasoline engine or by an electric motor.
The windmill just outside the Blacksmith Shop is a 1988 addition to Dakota City. It came from Cannon Falls.