Built in 1990, the Fire Barn was designed to replicate Farmington’s first fire barn built in 1872. The first Farmington fire department was organized the same year and called the Eagle Company. This building contains the hand drawn hook and ladder wagons used in Hampton and Vermillion.
There are also hand drawn hose carts and a 1929 W.S. Knott Universal fire truck. By the 1800s, firefighting had progressed from bucket brigades to carts and wagons drawn by men. Later these vehicles were drawn by horses. Steam engines were used until the gasoline driven fire truck of the 1920s became available. Fire fighters in small towns were volunteers until recent years.
Horses were used to pull the fire wagons until the early 1900’s.