This building was built in 1861 as a schoolhouse for District 14 in Vermillion Township. In 1869 the school districts changed and the schoolhouse was sold. The building was bought by Lebanon to be used as a town hall and the building was relocated to the southeast corner of Section 26. The building was given to Dakota City by the city of Apple Valley in 1983. The building has been used to house various businesses. It is currently used as a Gift Shop in the village.
The Gift Shop building was originally a school house.