This building was built in 1938 as the first church building of the Trinity Lutheran Church congregation, Farmington. It was used as a church until 1958, then it was used as a mortuary, school classroom, and church education program office. It was moved to Dakota City in 1982 to be used as the library. The “newest” books in the library today are copyrighted in 1920 and earlier. The card catalog actually works and can be used to find the location of a book.
In 1900, only 3 towns in Dakota County were large enough to have a Library: Hastings, South St. Paul and Farmington.