This building was built in the 1870s on the corner of Cedar Avenue and County Road 42 in Apple Valley. It was used as a school house for District 17 until 1904, when it was purchased by William Scott for $35 and moved one mile to his farm, using 8 teams of horses. It was used on his farm as a granary, storage building and later a playhouse. In the fall of 1988 it was moved to Dakota City and restored here. It currently serves as a Millinery Shop in the Village, where hats were custom-made for ladies of 1900.
A woman was not completely dressed until she had a hat that matched her outfit.