In 1985 a replica of a late 1800 post office was constructed by the Glenn Guildner family. The screen-line (boxes and customer window) was reconstructed just as it was in the Frontenac Post Office from which it came. Other equipment is from area post offices. Behind the “blue gate” one can see how the mail was sorted, bagged and labeled for its destination.
Many early post offices were located in homes and general stores. The earliest post office in the Farmington area was established in the home of Noriden Amidon in 1857 when he was appointed postmaster. This was located on the east side of present Highway 3 between 209th Street and Willow Street.
Farmington was the first town west of the Mississippi to have rural free delivery of mail, started on January 1, 1897.