Print Shop

Built in 1986 to house old printing equipment, the basis of the collection is equipment formerly owned by Robert Wilkie, a commercial printer from Minneapolis who moved to Orchard Lake. There are two pre-1900 open Gorden printing presses, a 1900 guillotine paper cutter, a proof press, an operational Linotype, a foot operated stapler and many drawers of type in the shop. The building represents a 1900s newspaper office where, as in early days, commercial printing was also often done.

Fun Fact!

The "Weekly Reader" for children began in 1902.