In 1859, a village was platted about a mile northeast of Farmington, Minnesota. This little town, named Dakota City, was positioned on the south bank of the Vermillion River along the stagecoach route now known as Highway 3. When the railroad was laid a mile to the southwest of Dakota City, the town was relocated to be near it, and in 1872 became known as Farmington.
Our village, named Dakota City after the original platted town on the banks of the Vermillion River, was established in 1978 and is located on the Dakota County Fairgrounds. It represents a typical rural Dakota County village of 1900.
Present day Dakota City is a 1900-era agricultural village and museum. Twenty-two buildings, including an operational blacksmith shop, newspaper office, train depot and family home, represent the business and social center of a rural 1900-era community.
Live interpretations and demonstrations can be experienced during living history events held throughout the year. Group tours, Scout tours, special programs, birthday parties and weddings are scheduled by appointment. The museum features exhibits relating to rural life, and an extensive collection of tractors and other agricultural equipment dating before 1950 are displayed during the Dakota County Fair.
Dakota City is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization that strives to preserve our heritage for future generations with the help of generous donors and exceptional volunteers.
Dakota City Heritage Village connects, through education and interpretation, current generations to the life and agricultural heritage of early twentieth century rural Dakota County.
Dakota City Heritage Village is to be the best representation of early twentieth century agricultural heritage and life in Dakota County.
The Dakota City Annual Report is presented at the annual meeting held each year on the 3rd Saturday of November. Members of Dakota City are invited to attend this meeting, and have voting rights to elect the Board of Directors.